Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Splicetoday: Neither sinners nor Saints

When I first saw the stories of the New Orleans Saints bounty program creep across my Twitter timeline I shrugged my shoulders and moved on to actual news.  I filed the bounty story under “Duh.” I spoke to a couple of friends who had pretty much the same reaction. Then I watched the talking heads scramble and scratch for the moral high ground. Over the past few days I’ve read, and heard, some national football writers and commentators who have suggested that former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams should be banned from the league. A couple of people, obviously looking to stand out from the pitchfork wielding crowd, have suggested that Williams should go to jail for installing a bounty program in New Orleans. Let’s reserve some space in our prisons for people who have actually committed crimes, and spare me the righteous indignation.  Continue reading

No comments:

Post a Comment